Instructions for Current Jurors
Where to Report:
Mahoning County Courthouse
120 Market Street
Youngstown, OH 44503
Clerk of Courts - Second Floor
What to Wear:
Business casual attire. Be prepared to stay the entire day on your first day of service, as you may be seated on a jury that day.
Jury service is a civic duty and obligation. You are required to serve unless excused by the Court. Under Ohio law, you can only be excused for the following reasons.
- You will be absent from the County on the date you are to begin your jury duty;
- Your attendance would cause material (financial) injury to yourself or the public;
- You are mentally or physically unable to serve (A physicians' statement must be submitted to the jury office to qualify);
- There has been a recent death (within the past six months) or someone is dangerously ill in your immediate family;
- You served as a Juror in a court of record within the past year;
- You are a cloistered member of a religious organization or an active member of a recognized Amish sect;
- You are over 75 years of age and wish to decline.
If you believe you qualify for excusal, or if you have any questions, call 33-740-2219, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.. You must call before you submit any material for jury excusal or rescheduling.
ORC 2313 (A) REQUIRES THAT, ALL REQUESTS FOR EXCUSAL OR DEFERRAL OF SERVICE BE MADE AT LEAST TWO BUSINESS DAYS BEFORE YOUR SCHEDULED DATE OF JURY DUTY.
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT FAILURE TO APPEAR FOR JURY DUTY COULD RESULT IN A FINDING OF CONTEMPT OF COURT.
click map for larger image