Projects and Plans
SPRING COMMON BRIDGE REHABILITATION PROJECT
Spring Common Bridge was originally was constructed in 1949 and rehabilitated in 1986.
The bridge is made up of three different structures:
The bridge is 104' wide and consists of three lanes in each direction, 38' wide per lane with a 6' wide median and two 11' wide sidewalks.
- a 269' long steel tied arch span over the Mahoning River.
- a 102' long steel through girder span over the Norfolk Southern Railroad.
- a 62' long concrete frame span over Front Street.
SCOPE OF PROJECT:
- Replace existing concrete filled grid decking with same.
- Patch and repair existing substructure units.
- Replace expansion joints, drainage units and pedestrian railing.
- Repair structural steel members with various retrofitting.
- Paint all structural steel.
Total Construction Cost: $ 6,525,000
- ODOT High Cost Bridge Program: $ 3,040,000
- Eastgate Council of Government Highway Funds: $ 1,518,000
- CEAO Federal LBR Funds: $ 1,307,000
- Local County Bridge Bond Levy: $ 660,000
DEDICATION & REOPENING:
- Bridge was reopened to traffic on October 17, 2008.
- A bridge dedication ceremony was held to officially rename the Spring Common Bridge to the "Fallen Fire Fighters Memorial Bridge".
- The new bridge color chosen was "crimson velvet" to honor the fire fighters.
Term and Long Term Plans:
We intend to seek additional and new grant funding for our projects as well as use newly developed products to enhance our road and bridge maintenance.
We have upgraded our fleet vehicles to provide better and more responsive snow and ice control in the winter months. We are also using technology to monitor our crews to know their location, work production and performance.