probate half banner long

How to Obtain a Marriage License

The probate court in each of Ohio's 88 counties is the only agency authorized to issue a marriage license. An application for a marriage license must be made by the parties before the probate court of the county in which either resides. If neither party is a resident of Ohio, the application must be made in the county where the marriage will be performed.  The fee established for a marriage license in Mahoning County is $43.00 and must be paid in cash only.  

Applying On Line

The Mahoning County Probate Court has made it easier for individuals to obtain a marriage license. Applicants can now pre-register through the court’s online marriage license portal.  By clicking here, you will be able to enter all of your information prior to coming to the court and obtaining your license.  This will save you time and expedite the process.

Applying in Person

If you do not wish to pre-register online, both parties will need to appear in person at the court between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. and provide the Court with all their information. In addition, whether you apply online or in person, both applicants will need to personally appear at the Mahoning County Probate Court.  The following documents are required:

  • A certified copy of birth certificate
  • Proof of social security number i.e. Social Security Card or W2 form
  • A valid driver's license or a valid photo I.D. card
  • A certified copy of most recent Divorce Decree, if applicable
  • A certified copy of Death Certificate, if applicable
If one (1) or both applicants have been married previously, the application must include the names of the former spouse(s) and the names of any minor children. 

Upon completion of the Marriage Application and approval of all necessary supplemental documentation, a Marriage License will be issued. The license will remain valid for 60 day; if the marriage is not performed within that time, a new license must be obtained.


How to Obtain a Certified Copy of my Marriage License

To obtain a certified copy of your marriage license/certificate you may come to the Mahoning County Probate Court or you may send a business size, self-addressed, stamped envelope and include $2 cash or money order only, for each copy (if requesting more than 3 copies, please allow for additional postage) to Mahoning County Probate Court, Marriage License Department, which is located at 120 Market Street, Youngstown, OH 44503.

When requesting a copy, please include the names of both parties, maiden name if applicable, date of marriage and the number of copies you are requesting. 

Who Can Get Married in Ohio

Males eighteen (18) or older and females sixteen (16) or older, who are not nearer of kin than 2nd cousins and do not have a husband or wife may be joined in marriage.  Effective June 26, 2015, the Supreme Court ruled that same sex couples can now be married in Ohio. 

If a female is sixteen or seventeen, she must have the consent of her parent(s) or legal guardian(s).

If a male is under eighteen or a female is under sixteen, the Juvenile Court must consent.  In addition, the minors are required to provide a letter from their minister or marriage counselor stating that they have received marriage counseling.

No license to marry will be issued if either applicant appears to be under the influence of intoxicating liquor or narcotic drugs.

Use the Same Last Name

Assumption by one spouse of the other spouse's last name is a matter of custom and tradition. In fact, either party may assume the other's surname after marriage.  In addition, both parties may adopt a new surname but must complete a legal name change for the new surname to be legally recognized.  

If one spouse is assuming the name of the other spouse, it is very important that they notify the other governmental agencies of this fact. These would include the Social Security Administration and the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Without these changes, problems may arise concerning the party's driver's license and their income tax for the Internal Revenue Service. The spouse wishing to assume the name of the other spouse should also contact any firm with which they have credit accounts and/or bank issued credit cards.